Chrisland University, Owode, was established in March 2015, following the approval of the Federal Government of Nigeria. having satisfied the requirements, as contained in Education (National Minimum Standards and Establishment of Institutions) Act Cap. E3 Laws of the Federation of Nigeria (2004), for the establishment of a private University.
The initiatives that culminated in the establishment of the University, however, go considerably back in time, and can be dated to four decades of involvement by the founders in the provision of quality education to generations of Nigerians and citizens of other nations.
Job Type: Full Time
Experience: 10 years
- The Vice-Chancellor is the Principal Officer responsible for the day-to-clay operations of the University and reports directly to the Governing Council.
- The Vice-Chancellor will be expected to pursue the realisation of the University’s Vision and Mission.
Schedule of Duties
The Vice-Chancellor shall:
- Be generally responsible to the Council in maintaining the efficiency and good order of the University and for ensuring the proper enforcement of its statues, ordinances and regulations;
- Have the competence to advise the Council on any matter affecting the administration, finance and policy of the University;
- At management level, provide leadership in the relentless pursuit of excellence in all aspects of University life, including teaching, research and community service;
- Be responsible for discipline in the University;
- Regulate the admission of students, subject to guidelines and procedures approved by Senate and to any law or policy at the time that is applicable to the University;
- Undertake other duties that will promote the growth and development of the University under conducive atmosphere.
The Eligible Candidate
An eligible candidate for the post of Vice-Chancellor must:
- Be a distinguished scholar of professorial rank and status, at both national and international levels and have evidence of continuous scholarship and research activity.
- Be a full Professor for at least Ten (10) years, and not more than Sixty (60) years old on or by October 30, 2017,
- Have requisite administrative experience, and previously served minimally as Head of Department, Director of Institute/Unit, Dean of Faculty, or Provost of College, or top level officer in University Administration or their equivalent in other sectors, with proficiency in Information and Communication Technologies (ICTS)
- Be of exemplary integrity in all matters: academic, moral and financial,
- Be of proven managerial skill, able to utilise available human and material resources efficiently and effectively, to achieve set University goals and objectives
- Have a good understanding of current problems plaguing the Nigerian University system as a whole, the opportunities and challenges facing Private Universities, sound and workable strategies required for dealing with all these in relation to the situation of Chrisland University in particular
- Possess good leadership qualities, such as decisiveness, openness, fairness, leading by examples, working as team leader and encouraging participation in decision making
- Be a person with. entrepreneurial, innovative abilities and possess the capacity to create wealth for the growth of the University in line with its Vision and Mission.
- Have enough national and international exposure and linkages to attract funds and access global resources for the University’s growth and development.
- Be of sound, physical and mental health, pleasant disposition, unassailable integrity and strong moral character, capable of inspiring and maintaining nioral discipline among staff and students.
- The successful candidate shall hold the office as Vice-Chancellor for an initial term of Five (5) years, commencing from October 30, 2017, with the possibility of an extension for up to Five (5) more years subject to performance evaluation and such other terms and conditions, as may be specified in the letter of appointment.
Salary and Conditions of Service
- Remuneration and other conditions of services, are as applicable to the post of Vice-Chancellor in the Nigerian Universities system and as may be determined from time to time by the Board of Trustees/Governing Council as appropriate.
Method of Application
Applicants should submit twenty (20) copies of their detailed Curriculum Vitae (CV), providing information as detailed here under:
- Full Name
- Place and Date of Birth
- Address: (a) Postal, (b) E-mail. (c) Mobile Telephone Number(s)
- Marital Status, Number and Ages of Children
- Academic Qualifications and Dates (Degrees with classes – copies of Certificates to he enclosed)
- Teaching, Research, Administrative and Managerial Experiences
- Academic Distinctions, Prizes, and Honours
- Membership of Academic and Professional Bodies
- Scholarly Publications (well referenced)
- Names and Addresses of Three (3) Referees, who should be able to attest to the candidate’s academic and managerial abilities, as well as his/her moral character and uprightness.
- The candidate should also state in clear terms, in not more than 1000 words, his/her vision for the University in the next Four (4) years.
- References should be submitted separately to the Registrar and Secretary to Council, with the post being applied for, as indicated on the envelope.
Applications are to be submitted in hard copies, under confidential cover in an envelope marked, “Post of Vice-Chancellor, Chrisland University” and addressed to:
The Registrar and Secretary to Council,
Ajebo Road, After Federal Medical Centre,
- In the case of candidates nominated by the Search Team, the Curriculum Vitae complying with the details, as set out above must be accompanied by a letter of consent, duly-signed by the candidates.
- All candidates must formally apply for the post, irrespective of the process by which their interest was obtained.
- Short-listed candidates will all be required to make themselves available for interaction with the Joint Board of Trustees (BOi)/Governing Council Selection Board.
Deadline: 31st August, 2017