The Natural Resource Governance Institute (NRGI) is a non-profit policy institute and grant-making organization that promotes the responsible management of oil, gas and mineral resources for the public good. Working in over thirty resource-rich countries, NRGI pursues this goal through research, advocacy, capacity development programs, and technical advice to governments and civil society actors.
In Nigeria our work is focused on enhancing and institutionalizing transparency and better informed public debate on oil sector reform; improved governance of licensing processes and promoting better governance of the National Oil Company. Towards this we work with government, civil society organizations, the media and various international development partners.
We are currently recruiting to fill the vacant position below:
Job Title: Senior Officer
Start Date: June/July 2017
- NRGI is hiring a Nigeria Senior Officer. As part of the country team, the new hire will be actively involved in NRGI’s multifaceted engagement with, government institutions, civil society organizations, and other key stakeholders in the extractive industry.
- He/She will also work towards supporting the uptake of global governance and transparency norms, including by providing support to Nigeria’s Extractive Industries Transparency Initiative (EITI) and OGP processes.
- Working closely with and reporting to the Nigeria Manager, the Senior Officer has dual roles in advancing NRGI’s country strategy and project management and oversight.
- Act as a regular public voice of the organization at the country level by either writing regular blogs or reports, conducting media interviews, making presentations, etc.
- Establish contacts and build relationships with representatives of government, private companies, international organizations, sector experts and civil society, building a network that will support the successful promotion of oil sector reform by NRGI.
- Monitor, analyze and write updates on relevant policies in Nigeria’s oil sector.
- Support the dissemination of NRGI’s forthcoming 2017 Resource Governance Index, and use it to spotlight key reform priorities.
- Offer support in the design and delivery of training programs with a variety of stakeholders, drawing on the organization’s expertise and resources globally.
- Conduct timely monitoring, evaluation & learning (MEL) processes for the Nigeria program in line with organization and funder guidelines.
- Coordinate grant support to civil society organizations, playing a liaison role and checking in regularly with grantees.
- Lead in the design and execution of country level campaigns for contract transparency and national oil company reform, and work with accountability actors to implement the campaigns.
- Act as the champion and lead on country data work, supporting the dissemination and uptake of resourceprojects.org and general open data projects
- Represent NRGI at conferences, workshops and donor coordination meetings.
- Contribute to NRGI’s global programs by sharing experiences from Nigeria and offering subject-specific expertise.
- Contribute to the preparation and execution of the country budgets, grant dockets, and contracts and donor reporting.
Education and Professional Experience:
- University degree with preference for a master’s degree in law, development studies, political science, public policy, economics, sociology or related fields
- At least seven (7) years of directly relevant experience in managing or coordinating programs in a relevant field such as development, governance, public administration, public finance or policy advocacy, including experience in program supervision and/or management
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
- Familiarity with the challenges and opportunities that affect the governance of the oil sector in Nigeria including transparency and accountability, fiscal management, and public policy reforms, among others.
- Ability to initiate productive interaction with diverse actors including the Nigerian government, civil society and companies.
- Ability to manage simultaneous projects in a fast-paced environment while paying attention to details.
- High level of influencing skills combined with an ability to build excellent working relationships within a matrix environment (both at country level and globally).
- Strong oral presentation skills;
- Ability to monitor and analyze developments in Nigeria’s oil sector in a sophisticated and accurate manner.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to write and speak about complex oil sector issues to diverse audiences (shortlisted candidates will be asked to do a writing exercise and share samples of their written products).
- Demonstrated ability to learn quickly and to work independently;
- Demonstrates professional maturity, a consistently positive attitude, and an energetic, eager to work approach;
- Integrity and professional discretion;
- Commensurate with experience.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, so we encourage you to apply as soon as possible.
Only those candidates we are interested in will be contacted.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send a writing sample, resume and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org with ‘Nigeria Senior Officer’ in subject line
Application Deadline: 28th April, 2017.