The United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF) – For 70 years, UNICEF has been working on the ground in 190 countries and territories to promote children’s survival, protection and development. The world’s largest provider of vaccines for developing countries, UNICEF supports child health and nutrition, good water and sanitation, quality basic education for all boys and girls, and the protection of children from violence, exploitation, and AIDS. UNICEF is funded entirely by the voluntary contributions of individuals, businesses, foundations and governments.
If you are a committed, creative professional and are passionate about making a lasting difference for children, the world’s leading children’s rights organization would like to hear from you.
TA WASH Officer, NOB, Nigeria (5 Mouth) – Batch Recruitment
Job Type: Full Time
Experience: 2 years
Job Number: 506204
Location: Rivers, Nigeria
Work Type: Temporary Appointment
Purpose of This Assignment
- Under the general supervision and guidance of the WASH Specialist (L3), UNICEF Field Office, Rivers, the WASH Officer will be responsible for providing technical, operational and administrative assistance to the WASH Programme in Rivers Field Office. The Officer prepares, manages and implements a number of technical and administrative tasks related to the design, development, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of the WASH output results of the Nigeria Country Programme.
- The WASH Officer will work under the overall guidance of the Chief of Field Office, Rivers with technical guidance from the WASH Specialist, UNICEF Rivers.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
Programme development and Planning:
- Prepare technical reports and inputs for programme preparation and documentation, ensuring accuracy, timeliness and relevance of information.
- Contribute to the development/establishment of WASH related outcome and output results, as well as related strategies, through analysis of WASH sector needs and priorities
- Provide technical and administrative support throughout all stages of programming process by executing/administering a variety of technical programme transactions, preparing materials/documentations, complying with organizational processes and management systems, to support progress towards the WASH related outcome and/or output results in the country programme.
Programme management, monitoring and delivery of results:
- Work collaboratively with internal and external colleagues and partners to collect/analyse/share information on implementation issues, provide solutions on routine programme implementation and alert appropriate officials and stakeholders for higher level interventions and/or decisions. Keep record of reports and assessments for easy reference and/or to capture and institutionalise lessons learned
- Participate in monitoring and evaluation exercises, programme reviews and annual sectoral reviews with government and other counterparts and prepare reports on results for required action/interventions at higher level of programme management.
- Monitor and report on sectoral programme resources (Financial, administrative and other assets), verify compliance with approved allocations, organizational rules, regulations/procedures, donor commitments, standards of accountability and integrity.
Technical and operational support for Programme Implementation:
- Undertakes field visits and surveys, collect and share reports with partners/stakeholders. Report critical issues, bottlenecks and potential problems to supervisor, for timely action.
- Provide technical and operational support to government counterparts, NGO partners, UN system partners and other country Office partners/donors on the application and understanding of UNICEF policies, strategies, processes and best practices in WASH, to support programme implementation.
Innovation, Knowledge management and Capacity building
- Compile WASH programme implementation, preparedness, and training and orientation materials to promote knowledge sharing with counterparts, WASH sectoral stakeholders, donors and media.
- Support the development, implementation, monitoring and documentation of Lessons learnt, WASH action research and innovations ( technical and systems)
- Assist in creating and delivering learning opportunities for WASH Staff, to ensure our sector capacity remains up to date with latest developments and strategies.
Communication and Networking:
- Ensure the effective communication and networking developed and maintained through partnership and collaboration.
- Collaborate with Operations staff to implement internal controls systems and resolve day-to-day issues or discrepancies in financial or supply management.
- Team with local Government and sectoral stakeholders counterparts to exchange information on WASH programme implementation, status, capacity and risk mapping, preparedness as well as movement, prepositioning and distribution of supplies.
- Coordinate with members of the development community, including NGOs, UN and bilateral agencies in the exchange of information relating to WASH sector. Where appropriate support the IASC WASH Cluster during preparedness and response to emergencies.
Minimum Qualifications, Experience and Competencies
- University Degree in one of the disciplines relevant to the following areas: Public Health, Social Sciences, Sanitation Engineering, Geology, Hydrology or a field relevant WASH. Additional training in Health Education or Communication for Development (Programme Communication), an asset.
- Two years of professional work experience in WASH related Programmes.
- Background/familiarity with Emergency preparedness and response
- Experience of high level advocacy for resource mobilization is an advantage
- Knowledge of global human rights issues, specifically relating to children and women, and the current UNICEF position and approaches.
- Knowledge of global environmental issues that pertain to sustainable development and specifically relation to children and women.
- Gender equality and diversity awareness
- Fluency in English and local working language of the duty station. Knowledge of another official UN language or a local language is an asset.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should APPLY HERE
Deadline: 9th August, 2017