Since 1993, ACTED has been committed to immediate humanitarian relief to support those in urgent need and protect people’s dignity, while co-creating longer term opportunities for sustainable growth and fulfilling people’s potential. ACTED, headquartered in Paris, France is present in four continents and our teams intervene in 34 countries towards 8 million people, responding to emergency situations, supporting rehabilitation projects and accompanying the dynamics of development. Over 5,000 staff are dedicated to implementing and developing our projects.
In light of the displacement in the north-eastern part of Nigeria, ACTED has set up an office in Maiduguri to respond to the humanitarian needs. ACTED is therefore looking for a Radio Operator to support its mission in [Maiduguri].
Job Type: Full Time
About the job
ACTED radio operator is responsible for the daily operation of the radio equipment. He is equally responsible for communicating messages between the ACTED area office and other ACTED staff or security apparatus within the Nigeria mission’s context as defined by the Security Officer his assistants to whom he reports directly. Your main duties and responsibilities will be:
Set-up and operate Radio Room communication systems by:
- Independently operates all radio and satellite equipment for voice and data communication
- Independently facilitates radio and telecommunication contacts and permanent field follow-up according to internal guidelines
- Selects most efficient mean of communication (inside and outside ACTED), taking in account format electronic or paper), speed and price
- Operates all machines for Voice (Tel, VHF, HF) and satellite telephone and maintains daily radio and operations in the field mobile log
- Acts quickly in the event of an emergency and contact relevant managements to contain and help solve critical incidents maintain a detailed incident log for security reports
- Registers and treats incoming and outgoing information confidentially, rapidly and with accuracy
- Provide a monthly mobile follow up report to CLSM Manager
Manage and maintain the Radio Room and the Movements system by:
- Reading and understanding the ACTED Communications handbook.
- Keeping all Radio Room equipment complete, up-to-date and in good order.
- Maintaining the movements board as an accurate and up-to-date record of all ACTED Kabul staff movements in the field.
Oversee the communications for all ACTED Nigeria staff by:
- Providing training and advice to staff using ACTED equipment or procedures.
- Controlling the issue of and access to ACTED communications equipment.
- Preventing the misuse or damage of ACTED communications equipment, and enforcing correct radio procedures.
- Provide information services to the Country Administration by;
- Carrying out translation or administrative duties when they do not conflict with any of the tasks above.
- Filling tasks for Administration, when they do not conflict with any of the task above.
- Supervise and control night shift staff attendance sheet
Follow up of cars
- Supervise vehicle board and ensure that bookings and timings are respected
- Record the movement of drivers
- Make sure that each driver has a radio before leaving the office
- Link with Coordination Unit Focal Point and Log Department to ensure a timely delivery of services.
- Reply to ad hoc request from staff requesting cars
All employees should master ACTED’s core Principles: Independence, Neutrality, Non-discrimination, free and direct access to victims, Ethics, Professionalism, anti-Corruption, Transparency and Accountability
Moreover, we also expect the following:
- Diploma in ICT or Electronic, additional vocational training in Electronics, Telecommunication, IT or similar field will be an asset
- Experience in communications/Radio operations within NGO’s or similar function preferably with an international organization
- Very good command of written and spoken English.
- Very good knowledge of Windows based computers
- Good knowledge of radio (HF & VHF) technology and satellite communication
- Excellent knowledge of the geographically assigned environment
- Previous working experience with humanitarian agencies
- Experience working with displaced populations.
- Professional certification will be good.
- Contract length: 6 months with possibility of extension
- Level: E2-1 (national contract)
- Salary Range: 150,000 to 170,000-naira monthly
- Start date: As soon as possible Desirable
All applicants must send a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages) in English.
CV and Cover Letter indicating and explaining the suitability to the position applied.
Provide contact details (name, position, email address and tel. no.) of 3 professional non-related references, whereas 1 must be for the latest employer. Please do not attach any written recommendations.
Applications should be addressed to: The Recruitment Manager.
Only motivated applications that address the stipulated duties and meet the required qualifications, sent together with a CV, will be considered. CV-only applications will not be considered. Please note: The position title and location must be written in the subject line of the e-mail otherwise not considered.
ACTED considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, colour, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, or disability.
Due to the large numbers of expected applicants ACTED will only inform shortlisted candidates. We apologise for the inconvenience. Only short-listed applicants will be invited for written test and oral interview.
For general information about ACTED, please consult: www.acted.org
Deadline: 5th September, 2017