Statoil is an international energy company with operations in more than 30 countries. Building on 40 years of experience from oil and gas production on the Norwegian continental shelf, we are committed to accommodating the world’s energy needs in a responsible manner, applying technology and creating innovative business solutions. We are headquartered in Norway with approx. 21,000 employees worldwide, and are listed on the New York and Oslo stock exchanges.
Statoil (Nigeria) Limited (SNL) is a wholly owned subsidiary of Statoil ASA and currently the operator of two deep-water offshore licenses. Its main partners are Chevron and Shell. Chevron operates the Agbami field in which SNL is an equity participant.
Job Type: Full Time
Qualification: BA/BSc/HND MBA/MSc/MA
Experience: 5 – 8 years
Job ID: 202117
- The Legal Counsel will provide business oriented legal advice to Statoil’s assets and projects in Nigeria and secure compliance with Statoil governing documents, local law and applicable international standards.
- The Legal Counsel will work closely with all departments in the Lagos office, as well as with colleagues in the legal department worldwide.
- Will have a special responsibility for advising issues regarding Nigerian law and will be instructing and following-up external legal counsels in Nigeria.
The Legal Counsel will work closely with Legal Leader in providing legal advice and support on a wide range of activities, namely but not limited to:
- All aspects of petroleum operations (including Petroleum Laws and other relevant regulations, Hosting Granting Instruments, Joint Operating Agreements with partners, upstream exploration, development and production matters including drilling operations, midstream developments and operations);
- Environmental and Corporate Social Responsibility issues;
- Local corporate issues such as company law, labor law, lease agreements, tax and insurance;
- Procurement processes and procurement of various goods and services;
- Business development opportunities, including host government agreements for new developments;
- Anti-corruption and anti-trust compliance;
- Development and implementation of local corporate directives and governing documents;
- Representing Statoil in various external meetings and internal or external committees as required; and
- Provide guidance and liaise with the Company Secretaries on corporate secretarial services; and
- Other activities and tasks inherent to legal counsels and personal competencies.
- Qualified to practice law in Nigeria;
- Law Degree with Masters preferably.
Experience and Skills required for the position include:
- 5 to 8 years post-qualification of experience from reputable law firm(s) with oil & gas practice or other businesses preferably in the upstream oil & gas industry;
- High academic achievement, preferably from Nigeria and abroad;
- Thorough understanding of Nigerian law and practices;
- Solid understanding of general business operations;
- Good IT skills Microsoft office packages;
- Fluent in English, written as well as spoken.
- Experience in Integrity Due Diligence (IDD)
- Analytical and evaluation skills;
- Structured, systematic and target driven approach;
- Ability to deliver high quality work under tight deadlines;
- Ability to take hands-on approach and follow-through;
- Strong collaboration and communication skills and ability to work in multicultural environments;
- High ethical awareness and integrity and ability to identify with Statoil’s values;
- High degree of integrity, self-contained and able to motivate colleagues in project teams;
- Organized, with ability to prioritise activities and make decisions in complex situations with many parties involved;
- Ability to work unsupervised, demonstrate initiative and deal with ad hoc requests as part of a role that does not naturally have a standard routine;
- Good multi-discipline understanding.
- Ability to live by “I am safety” expectations
We offer competitive salaries, a general bonus scheme, good pension and insurance schemes and a comprehensive welfare package. Statoil wants to ensure diversity in terms of gender, age and culture.
Method of Application
- Make sure that we are able to give your application consideration.
- Please attach copies of your diplomas, certificates and grades in English. Applications submitted without such attachments will unfortunately not be evaluated. If you are in the process of completing a degree, please upload an official temporary transcript or other document describing subjects and grades completed to this point.
- Our values are to be courageous, open, collaborative and caring. We believe in these qualities, which are essential for building an even stronger Statoil. If you can identify with them, you could be the one to strengthen our team. Candidates are expected to openly offer all relevant information about themselves during the recruitment process.
- All permanent and temporary hires will be screened against relevant sanctions lists to ensure compliance with sanctions law and increase security.
- Position is located in Nigeria, on local terms.
Interested and qualified candidates should APPLY HERE
Deadline: Not specified