African Development Bank (AfDB) – Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth.
Chief Power Engineer (Power Sector Reform)
Job Type: Full Time
Experience: 7 years
Location: Côte d’Ivoire
Position N°: 50093670
- The Vice Presidency for ‘Power, Energy, Climate and Green Growth’ is a Sector Complex focusing on the Bank’s Ten Year Strategy High 5s priority of “Light up and Power Africa”.
- The complex’s objectives are:
- To develop policy and strategy;
- Provide deep sector technical expertise to the Regions by gathering pool of experienced individuals who can be consulted for their expertise on complicated transactions;
- Develop new financing instruments;
- Act as spoke person to represent the Bank with external stakeholders on all aspects of “Light Up and Power Africa”.
- The Complex will focus on areas of Power systems, policy and regulation, renewable energy; and, Climate and Green Growth.
The Hiring Department/Division
- Within this new Complex, there is a Directorate in charge of Power Systems Development.
- This Directorate includes the “Power Utilities” Division which supports the Bank’s Regional Member Countries, Utilities, Regional Economic Communities, Power Pools, Regulators and other stakeholders to develop and improve their power systems both for both sovereign (SO) and non-sovereign operations (NSO).
- The Chief Power Engineer (Power Sector Reforms) will ensure the technical strength of the Bank’s activities in the support of transactions linked to private sector investments in the electricity sector.
- He/She will provide deep sectoral expertise related to the planning, structuring, financing and implementation of power / utility reforms to increase private sector participation across the power value (i.e. fuel supply, and power generation, transmission and distribution / retail).
- This will involve the entire gamut of reforms (i.e. management contracts to full divestiture) to enhance and facilitate utility performance benchmarking / knowledge sharing and provision of quality advisory services required for successful reform and restructuring of utilities.
- The job will also contribute to the delivery of the High5 flagships as required.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Under the overall supervision of the Manager, Power Utilities, the incumbent will perform the following:
- Coordinate the delivery of flagships as relevant to ensure delivery of the New Deal on Energy objectives;
- Provides advisory support to Regional Member Countries and Task Managers in preparation and implementation of complex and innovative projects aiming at reforming utilities and enhancing / benchmarking management performance through transmission / distribution network rehabilitation and expansion, and loss reductions and increased efficiency;
- Provide leadership, along with Hub-based staff, in the process of identification, preparation and execution of operations related to the transformation of utilities, including loss reduction and last mile access programmes;
- Coordinate/Lead, in conjunction with other teams, operations (investment plan support, technical assistance) to support transformation;
- Coordinate with the Hubs and governance units in conducting policy / result based operations and technical assistance to support utility reforms and private sector participation;
- Provide deep sector expertise for quality assurance: preparation of terms of reference, review and validation process of feasibility studies and utility performance diagnostic;
- Ensure timely review and quality assurance of project preparation, appraisal and supervision documents vis-à-vis technical, financial and economic requirements;
- Work with other PEVP Divisions on relevant policy and regulatory matters and the structuring and financial analysis of complex / innovative projects, especially those involving private sector participation (e.g. streamlining / standardization of project and transaction documentation, and financing instruments);
- Support delivery of Economic and Sector Work related to utility performance benchmarking in collaboration with other directorates of the complex;
- Undertake any other tasks the Director or Division Manager may assign.
Including Desirable Skills, Knowledge and Experience
- Hold at least a Master’s Degree in Electrical Engineering or related disciplines.
- Have a minimum of seven (7) years of experience in utilities or in the power sector including utility reform and turn around exposure;
- Private sector experience will be an added advantage;
- Experience working across multiple institutions and ensuring collaboration across power sector reform stakeholders is essential.
- Experience in a combination of the following areas will be essential: Utility Management, Regional integration, infrastructure development and policy; IPPs / PPPs; and/or regulatory specialization along with experience of working on Management Contracts, Concession Agreements and Divestiture transactions.
- Ability to innovate and create new approaches in order to enhance performance;
- Ability to communicate effectively and mobilize key actors to delivery (private sector, public sector and civil society);
- Proven ability to build and direct a high performing team to achieve visionary and challenging goals;
- Proven interpersonal skills demonstrated by the ability to work in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment, with sensitivity and respect for diversity and the ability to build trust and provide leadership to different team members;
- Highly developed negotiation skills proven to yield positive outcomes with counterparts,
- both internal and external;
- Clear understanding of the drivers and barriers to success of power utilities in complex regulatory, political environments;
- Deep knowledge of integrated least-cost national / utility power system planning and network development process and tools utilized in Africa; and familiarity with the work of multilateral Development Finance Institutions;
- Deep knowledge of utility Quality of Supply and Service Standards; and related performance management systems;
- Excellent project management and contract administration skills;
- Ability to draft Terms of reference (TORs), Requests for quotation (RFQs) and Requests for Proposals (RFPs) to procure services from consultants;
- Good knowledge of national power / utility regulation, procurement and contracting models and standards; and grid code / operating rules / limits / reserves (including power import, export, wheeling and trading);
- A good understanding of, and ability to lead / support negotiation of, power project agreements such as Power Purchase Agreements, Grid Connection Agreements, Fuel Supply Agreements, Engineering, Procurement & Construction (EPC) Contracts, Operations & Maintenance (O&M) Contracts, Long Term Service Agreements (LTSA) and familiarity with the work of Development Finance Institutions.
- A good understanding of SCADA (supervisory control and data acquisition) and asset management systems;
- A good understanding of the Bank’s Environmental & Social policy requirements;
- Good knowledge of utility governance, regulation, operations, maintenance and management, client relationship, billing, financial management of utilities;
- Highly developed strategic thinking skills allied to an ability to translate strategic concepts and direction into the implementation of workable and sustainable policies and regulations;
- Excellent spoken and written English or French, with a working knowledge of the other language;
- Competence in the use of standard Microsoft Office Suite applications;
- Ability/willingness to quickly become familiar with the use of various tools available and applied by the Bank such as SAP.
Young Professionals Program (YPP)
Job Type: Full Time
Experience: 3 years
Position N°: NA
- The Young Professionals Program (YPP) targets High Potential, Best-in-Class young professionals with a strong passion for Africa’s Development. This program is not an internship arrangement; rather it offers an exceptional opportunity to talented young professionals with leadership potential, an established record of outstanding academic and professional achievement, a commitment to engagement in crucial issues and to making a difference at the national or international level. The YPP includes a rigorous program of activities that prepares participants to be technical and professional leaders with notable impact.
- The Program is for a period of three years, of which two years are to be spent on mandatory rotational placements across the Bank’s various functions and with the possibility of securing a regular staff position during the third year, based on performance and potential, as well as availability of suitable vacancies.
- This development Program is structured under the Young Professionals Learning Academy and specific learning interventions delivered in phases of 6 months each, to deepen knowledge and build technical breadth and leadership skills necessary for future roles. It includes immersion into various functional areas of the Bank for hands-on experience in projects and various work assignments.
- On-boarding and orientation programs will enable fast learning and adjustment to the Bank’s belief system in addition to a robust support mechanism by way of mentors, coaches and buddy groups
- Individual performance and potential will be reviewed periodically and the necessary personal development plans customized to individual needs.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Young Professional Program (Ypp) Strategic Focus Areas For 2018 Intake:
- We seek to recruit Young Professionals in specific disciplines and specialist professional areas that are aligned to our Ten-Year Strategy (TYS) as well as our People strategy. Our talent needs and recruitment efforts are therefore aligned to the Bank’s strategic imperatives; the High Fives (Hi-5s).
Light Up and Power Africa:
- Power Systems Development (grid base power system, power utilities), Climate Change and Green Growth (climate finance, climate adaptation), Energy Statistics, Policy and Regulation (energy statistics), Renewable Energy (off grid energy access), Energy Partnerships (energy partnerships and stake-holders engagement, energy markets).
- Agriculture & Agro-industry (agribusiness development, agriculture research, production and sustainability), Agricultural finance & Rural development (agricultural and rural finance, rural infrastructure development).
- Development Research (macroeconomic policy, debt sustainability and forecasting, microeconomic, institutional and development impact), Governance and public financial management (program development, policy management), Statistics (economic and social statistics, statistical capacity building).
- Private Sector Development (strategy and new product, portfolio asset management, special operations), Financial sector development (financial institutions, financial inclusion), Infrastructure, cities & urban development (transport and logistics, ICT), Industrial and trade development.
Improve the quality of life for the people of Africa:
- Water, Human and Social development (education, human capital and employment, sanitation and public health.
- The Bank expects to recruit thirty (30) Young Professionals in the identified relevant focus areas. The Bank is an equal opportunity employer. To this end, we are committed to building and maintaining a diverse workforce that reflects our diversity agenda, including gender, geographies and languages, among others.
Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience:
The Young Professional Program targets motivated and high-potential talented individuals from our member countries. Applicants must meet the following conditions:
- Be a citizen of a regional or non-regional AfDB member country.
- Be 32 years of age or younger by 31st December, 2017.
- Possess a Master’s degree or equivalent in any discipline that is relevant to the business of the Bank, with outstanding academic credentials.
- Have at least 3 years work experience in the areas related to our high priority areas (Hi-5s) as mentioned above.
- Demonstrable on-the-ground/hands-on experience on the African continent and/or in other continent’s developing countries.
- Have passion for Africa’s Development.
- Demonstrate strengths in leadership including leading others.
- Able to leverage knowledge, share and coach others.
- Effectively work in teams with adaptability to a diverse environment.
- Strong analytical skills, an entrepreneurial drive, results-orientation and problem-solving capability
- Business Acumen and innovation mindset.
- Be proficient in the Bank’s working languages, either English and/or French.
- Have skills that enable you work in a digital environment and embrace technology as it evolves.
- Be willing to live in Abidjan, Cote d’Ivoire the Bank’s Headquarters, and travel to undertake country assignments.
Senior Financial Analyst
Job Type: Full Time
Experience: 5 years
Location: Côte d’Ivoire
Position N°: 50093632 / 50062800
- The Vice Presidency for Finance (FIVP) oversees the financial management of the Bank Group.
- This encompasses the Bank Group’s treasury activities including borrowings from the capital markets and investment activities; controllership functions including financial reporting and loan administration; strategic resource mobilization and the strengthening of the non-statutory financial resources and instruments; the overall asset/liability management for the Bank Group.
The Hiring Department/Division
- The Syndication and Financial Technical Services Department (the “Department”) is responsible for the design and introduction of new financial products as well as the provision of structured finance solutions to the Bank’s clients.
- Additionally, the Department is responsible for the syndication and co-financing of all the Bank’s transactions including but not limited to balance sheet management through secondary market sales and securitization of the Bank’s asset portfolio.
- The Financial Technical Services Division (the “Division”) has primary responsibility for the innovation, development and marketing / dissemination of the Bank Group’s financial products as well as its local currency funding operations.
- The Division also provides financial technical expertise and advisory services on project teams supporting task managers in originating, structuring, appraising, negotiating, restructuring, secondary sales and closing of transactions.
- The Division has the additional responsibility for the lending rate management of the Bank and in assisting Bank’s clients to manage market related risk through derivative based hedging solutions.
- Reporting to the Division Manager, the Senior Financial Analyst will be a part of a team of finance specialists providing financial solutions and specific finance expertise in support of investments across all sectors and regional member countries of the Bank.
- He/She will develop, structure and implement innovative financial solutions, develop new products and deploy a range of Bank products to attract financing from the private sector. This will include, but not limited to:
- Design products and financial services that are competitive, responsive to the evolving needs of the clients and consistent with the development objectives of the Bank and specifically the High5s.
- Provide financial technical expertise and advisory services on project teams supporting task managers in originating, structuring, appraising, negotiating, restructuring, secondary sales and closing of transactions.
- Assist Bank’s clients to manage risk through customized derivative based hedging solutions.
- Contribute to the Bank’s initiative to develop African capital markets through the provision of long-term currency solutions funded through bonds, synthetically or swaps.
- Support the general dissemination and implementation of the Bank Group’s financial products, including developing and delivering training workshops, awareness and capacity building for Bank’s staff and clients.
- Participate in the policy and transactional dialogue around the development, structuring and implementation of transactions, employing a range of Bank products designed not only to attract financing from the private sector at the best available terms and conditions for the benefit of Bank clients but also help manage vulnerability to market related risks.
- Execute related swap trade transactions in the financial markets to hedge the Bank’s exposure to interest and currency risk as a result of loan features offered to clients.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Senior Financial Analyst will carry out the following functions:
- Development and Marketing of Financial Products:
- Design and implement new and/or enhanced financial products for financing, leverage of Bank Capital and risk management.
- Support the general dissemination and implementation of the Bank’s financial products. This involve developing and delivering training, marketing and communication modules, helping to resolve important funding and risk management issues.
- Monitor the performance of products and services, and where necessary, analyze, develop and implement changes to existing product range to ensure that they continue to adequately meet borrower needs.
- Assist in the management of the interaction with relationship teams and provide guidance across the full range of products, and be a consistent, credible and accessible point of contact.
- Share experiences and exchange information with similar Divisions in other MDBs and keep abreast of financial innovation that can help the Bank’s borrowers.
- Build and maintain highly effective and successful relationships with key internal and external stakeholders, including financial advisors, investment banks, multilateral development banks and other financial institutions.
- Provision of Financial Technical Services to Sovereign and Non-Sovereign Transactions in Project Teams:
- Provide financial technical support and advisory services on project teams in originating, structuring, appraising, negotiating, restructuring, secondary sales and closing of transactions in various sectors utilizing the breadth of available instruments.
- Review and negotiate project documentation, including mandate letters, term sheet, loan and common term agreements.
- Support task managers developing guarantee transactions, including support during upstream preparation, structuring, negotiation, and closing of the transactions.
- Assist Bank’s clients in their debt management strategies through the design of customized derivative based hedging solutions.
- Domestic Capital Markets Funding:
- Contribute to the Bank’s initiative to issue domestic bond in African Capital markets and on- lend to projects.
- Manage the process of local currency papers preparation to seek President’s approval to designate specific regional member countries currencies as approved lending currencies of the Bank and thereafter establish medium term note programs in the underlying countries.
- Contribute to the development of local currency funding strategies for Bank projects utilizing domestic bond issuance, cross currency swaps or synthetic derivative structures.
- Design structured transactions (partial credit guarantees, securitizations, credit enhancements, and risk sharing facilities) to assist clients mobilize local currency in domestic capital markets or through syndicated loan structures or commercial lenders.
- Lending Rate Management:
- Verify data and information for loans with interest rate fixings and prepares all relevant documents required for swap execution.
- Execute related swap transactions on behalf of the Bank.
- Perform efficiency tests to ensure that all executed swaps and the hedged items (principal, maturity, index, etc.,) match for hedge accounting purpose.
- Simulates and prices loans in Bank’s treasury systems – Summit, Reuters and/or Bloomberg.
- Collaborate with market counterparties to estimate and verify the marked-to-market exposure of clients upon unwinding of a related swap.
- Contributing to the development and adaptation of financial policies and programs:
- Assist in the design and implementation of a marketing strategy for the unit, both to internal and external clients.
- Participate as a key member of all the Asset and Liability Management Committee working groups and in technical working groups.
- Perform other duties assigned by the Division Manager
Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience:
- Hold at least a Master’s Degree or its equivalent in Finance / Banking, Business Administration, Economics, Accounting related discipline.
- A professional qualification in one of the aforementioned fields. A Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) charter holder or ICMA is an advantage.
- Have a minimum of five (5 years) of relevant professional experience with good market knowledge – particularly in relation to transaction structures, products, fixed income, derivatives, equity, African capital markets, due diligence, financial analysis of project finance and corporate finance lending and equity investments, risk management instruments.
- A strong background in investment and development banking with experience in working with private sector projects, state owned entities, utilities/infrastructure authorities and government.
- Having private sector experience will be an added advantage.
- Proven excellence in written and verbal communication skills, including the capacity to communicate complex and technical issues in simple terms, while maintaining absolute accuracy.
- Knowledge, Learning and Communication – Actively seeking knowledge needed to complete assignments and shares knowledge with others, communicating and presenting information in a clear and organized manner.
- Drive for results – Takes personal ownership and accountability to meet deadlines and achieve agreed-upon results, and has the personal organization to do so.
- Strong analytical, quantitative and financial market skills.
- Knowledge of fund raising and on-lending activities in developing capital markets, particularly in Africa.
- An understanding of the capital markets and demonstrated understanding of project finance and the use of risk mitigation instruments to catalyze private capital.
- Strong Operational Effectiveness, Problem solving, Innovation and Creativity, Client Orientation and teamwork and relationships.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, in English or French preferably with a working knowledge of the other.
- Competence with use of standard MS Office software applications, particularly Word, PowerPoint, and Excel and Treasury Systems – Summit, Reuters and Bloomberg applications and SAP – Loan Administration
Use the link(s) below to apply on company website.
- Chief Power Engineer (Power Sector Reform)
- Young Professionals Program (YPP)
- Senior Financial Analyst
Deadline: 8th September, 2017