International Organization for Migration (IOM) – Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Rapid Assessment and Response Officer
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Classification : Professional Staff, Grade P3
Type of Appointment: Special short-term graded, Six months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
- Under the overall supervision of the Chief of Mission (COM) in Abuja, the direct supervision of the Senior Programme Coordinator (Emergency Response) in Maiduguri, and in close coordination with relevant project managers as well as the Sector Coordination Officer (Shelter, NFI, CCCM), the successful candidate will be responsible for the management and coordination of IOM’s Rapid Assessment and Response activities related to the Emergency Response Programme in North East Nigeria.
Core Functions / Responsibilities
- Develop and update IOM Nigeria’s rapid assessment and response Terms of Reference,
- Standard Operational Procedures and minimum response packages, as well as working closely with the project managers to identify required personnel for a Rapid Assessment and Response Team (RART) for the North East Nigeria.
- Manage, coordinate and ensure the implementation of RART’s Rapid Assessment activities.
- Utilize information obtained as an input to corrective decision making and informed programming.
- Manage RART’s Rapid Response operational activities. Provide financial, administrative and technical backstopping, and ensure quality control and adherence to IOM’s procedural standards and policies as well as donor requirements at field level.
- Support the coordination of different projects’ activities at the field level to ensure a well-coordinated, efficient, timely and proper IOM response.
- Represent IOM at the Shelter & CCCM Sectoral coordination mechanisms at field level and provide leadership support according to the strategy and tools implemented at national level.
- Represent IOM at the Rapid Response Mechanism coordination forum and others as required.
- Identify and train staff working in the Emergency Response Programme in accordance with the Organization’s procedures and regulations.
- Liaise as required, with Project Managers, local authorities, RMO and agencies/organizations to facilitate the proper implementation of the mission’s RART activities.
- Prepare implementation, progress, results and donor reports, as well as other materials or correspondence relevant to ongoing activities.
- Identify new opportunities, describe and justify project possibilities consistent with the approved emergency programme and ongoing activities, and recommend programme improvements.
- Ensure the implementation of appropriate safety and security procedures related to the protection of IOM staff, its assets and operations. Ensure that all relevant security information is properly disseminated.
- Undertake duty travel to provide advice and guidance, ensure coordinated project implementation, and conduct briefings in connection with project development and maximizing project performance.
- Perform such other related duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Master’s degree in International Affairs, Development Studies or a related field from an accredited academic institution with five years of relevant professional experience; or University degree in the above fields with seven years of relevant professional experience.
- At least five years’ experience in Emergency Response and Disaster Management, preferably in the African region;
- Operational and extensive field experience in programme development, implementation and evaluation;
- Experience in post-conflict/emergency zones and in working in a high-risk environment, project management and administrative and financial management;
- Combination of training and experience in field of operations, preferably in natural disaster or post conflict situations;
- Experience in liaising with governmental authorities and local communities, as well as national and international institutions preferably within the United Nations Common System and the International Humanitarian Field.
- Fluency in English is required. Working knowledge of any local language is an advantage.
- Accountability – takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticisms;
- Client Orientation – works effectively well with client and stakeholders;
- Continuous Learning – promotes continuous learning for self and others;
- Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience;
- Creativity and Initiative – actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services;
- Leadership and Negotiation – develops effective partnerships with internal and external stakeholders;
- Performance Management – identify ways and implement actions to improve performance of self and others;
- Planning and Organizing – plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility;
- Professionalism – displays mastery of subject matter;
- Teamwork – contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender related needs, perspectives, concerns and promotes equal gender participation;
- Technological Awareness – displays awareness of relevant technological solutions;
- Resource Mobilization – works with internal and external stakeholders to meet resource needs of IOM.
- Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
- Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
- The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members.
- For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
- Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline: 3th August, 2017.