The United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF) – For 70 years, UNICEF has been working on the ground in 190 countries and territories to promote children’s survival, protection and development. The world’s largest provider of vaccines for developing countries, UNICEF supports child health and nutrition, good water and sanitation, quality basic education for all boys and girls, and the protection of children from violence, exploitation, and AIDS. UNICEF is funded entirely by the voluntary contributions of individuals, businesses, foundations and governments.
HIV Officer, NO-B
Job Type: Full Time
Experience: 2 years
Job Number: 506157
Work Type: Temporary Appointment
Support to Programme Development and Planning:
- Conduct/update situation analysis for the programme sector/s for development, design and management of HIV related programmes/projects.
- Research and report on development trends (e.g. political social, economic, HIV/AIDS) for higher management use to enhance programme development planning, management, efficacy and delivery of results.
- Contribute to the development/establishment of sectoral programme goals, objectives and strategies and results-based planning through analysis of HIV needs and areas for intervention and submission of recommendations for priority and goal setting.
- Provide technical and operational support throughout all stages of programming processes by executing/administering a variety of technical programme transactions, preparing materials/documentations and complying with organizational processes and management systems, to support programme planning, results based planning (RBM) and monitoring and evaluating results.
- Prepare required documentations/materials to facilitate the programme review and approval process.
Programme Implementation, Monitoring and Delivery of Results:
- Work closely and collaboratively with internal and external colleagues and partners to discuss operational and implementation issues, provide solutions, recommendations and/or alert appropriate officials and stakeholders for higher-level intervention and/or decision.
- Keep record of reports and assessments for easy reference and/or to capture and institutionalize lessons learned.
- Participate in monitoring and evaluation exercises, programme reviews and annual reviews with government and other counterparts to assess programmes/projects and to report on required action/interventions at the higher level of programme management.
- Monitor and report on the use of sectoral programme resources (financial, administrative and other assets), verify compliance with approved allocation/goals, organizational rules, regulations/procedures and donor commitments, standards of accountability and integrity. Report on issues identified to ensure timely resolution by management/stakeholders. Follow up on unresolved issues to ensure resolution.
- Prepare regular/mandated sectoral programme/project reports for management, donors and partners to keep them informed of programme progress.
Technical and Operational Support to Programme Implementation:
- Conduct regular programme field visits and surveys and/or exchange information with partners/stakeholders to assess progress and provide technical support, take appropriate action to resolve issues and/or refer to relevant officials for resolution. Report on critical issues, bottlenecks and potential problems for timely action to achieve results.
- Provide technical and operational support to government counterparts, NGO partners, UN system partners and other country office partners/donors on the application and understanding of UNICEF policies, strategies, processes and best practices on HIV related issues to support programme implementation, operations and delivery of results.
Networking and Partnership Building:
- Build and sustain effective close working partnerships with relevant sector government counterparts and national stakeholders through active sharing of information and knowledge to facilitate programme implementation and build capacity of stakeholders to achieve programme goals.
- Draft communication and information materials for CO programme advocacy to promote awareness, establish partnership/alliances and enhance resource mobilization for UNICEF HIV programmes/projects.
- Participate in appropriate inter-agency (UNCT) meetings/events on programming to collaborate with inter-agency partners/colleagues on UNDAF operational planning and preparation of HIV programmes/projects and to integrate and harmonize UNICEF position and strategies with the UNDAF development and planning process.
- Research information on potential donors and prepare resource mobilization materials and briefs for fund raising and partnership development purposes.
Innovation, Knowledge Management and Capacity Building:
- Identify, capture, synthesize and share lessons learned for knowledge development and to build the capacity of stakeholders.
- Apply innovative approaches and promote good practice to support the implementation and delivery of concrete and sustainable programme results.
- Research, benchmark and report on best and cutting edge practices for development planning of knowledge products and systems.
- Participate as resource person in capacity building initiatives to enhance the competencies of clients/stakeholders.
Qualifications & Experience
- A University Degree in Public Health, Paediatric Health, Family Health, Health Research, Global/international Health, Health Policy and/or Management, Environmental Health Sciences, Biostatistics, Socio-medical, Health Education, Epidemiology or other health related sciences is required
- A minimum of 2 years of professional experience in HIV/AIDS planning and management and/or in relevant areas of health care, health/emergency preparedness at the international level and/or in a developing country is required. Experience in HIV/AIDS programme/project development in UN system agency or organization is an asset.
- Proficiency in English is required. Knowledge of another official UN language or a local language is an asset.
- Gender and diversity awareness.
- Core Values
- Diversity and inclusion
- Communication (II)
- Working with people (I)
- Drive for results (I)
- Formulating strategies and concepts (I)
- Analyzing (II)
- Applying technical expertise (II)
- Learning and researching (II)
- Planning and organizing (II)
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should APPLY HERE
Deadline: 8th August, 2017