The United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF) – For 70 years, UNICEF has been working on the ground in 190 countries and territories to promote children’s survival, protection and development. The world’s largest provider of vaccines for developing countries, UNICEF supports child health and nutrition, good water and sanitation, quality basic education for all boys and girls, and the protection of children from violence, exploitation, and AIDS. UNICEF is funded entirely by the voluntary contributions of individuals, businesses, foundations and governments
Communication for Development Specialist/Polio, (P-3)
Job Type: Full Time
Experience: 5 years
Job Number: 506777
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Work Type : Fixed Term Staff
For Every Child, Hope
The Communications for Development Specialist reports to the Chief of C4D/Polio for general guidance and supervision with additional guidance provided by the Polio Field Coordinator. The Specialist provides technical and operational support in the development of a systematic, planned and evidence-based strategy and process for C4D as an integral part of program development, planning and implementation to promote measurable behavioral and social change/mobilization through communication, engagement, empowerment and participation of stakeholders, partners constituents, communities and civil society to achieve successful and sustainable concrete (program/project) results on children’s rights, survival and well-being in the country.
Further, and in close coordination with the partners in immunization activities, the incumbent will drive progress in Polio eradication and Extended Programme on Immunization (EPI) activities in national office based in Abuja and in all field offices in Nigeria with particular emphasis in the North East, to achieve successful social mobilization that will result in increased uptake for polio and routine immunization to build higher immunity against Polio, meeting the short-term and long-term PEI (Polio Eradication Initiative)/EPI goals. Incumbent is also responsible for actively supporting the national Social Mobilization initiatives and to support Advocacy, Communication and Social Mobilization Working Group at National Primary Health Care Development Agency (NPHCDA) and the Communication working group at Emergency Operations Center (EOC).
How Can You Make A Difference?
Support to strategy design and development of C4D activities:
- Develop and implement strategies to address children’s and women’s issues around polio eradication, immunization and cross cutting C4D strategies in the public domain. Expected result is strengthened political will in support of UNICEF’s mission and objectives, (including communication assessment and analysis, development of a communication plan, strategic use of resources and involvement in Polio Eradication & Routine Immunization processes, especially rapid situation analysis, studies, reviews and evaluations).
- Plan and oversee the production of culturally relevant programme communication materials that meet requirements and quality standards aimed at: (a) behaviour development/change at individual/household and community levels; (b) social mobilisation of civil society and community-based organizations; and (c) increased community participation in EPI programmes and related primary healthcare programmes. Facilitate the integration of lessons learned and adapt communication tools into existing communication action plans.
- Make viable recommendations on operational strategies in the areas of participatory communication, social mobilisation and behaviour change and on appropriate materials and media to reach target audiences.
- Prepare or provide quality assurance on materials and related documentations for C4D strategies and plans (as a component of the Country Office – CO and/or United Nations Development Assistance Framework – UNDAF Programs) to ensure optimum impact, scale and sustainability of achievements/results.
- Collaborate/consult with a wide range of partners and stakeholders to ensure synergy, integration, coherence, and harmonization of C4D activities with UNICEF sections at the CO level, including in humanitarian response.
Implementation of C4D Activities:
- Collaborate with, advise and/or consult internal partners, including state-level C4D colleagues, and external partners to design of culturally relevant C4D strategies, including formulation, production and pre-testing materials and/or to organize C4D events and activities to ensure engagement and participation of key audiences, and maximum outreach and impact on behavioral and social change, including in humanitarian response.
- Confirm/verify the technical quality, consistency and relevancy of communications strategies, including materials that are developed, produced and disseminated to target audience (e.g. individuals, communities, government officials, partners, media etc). Recommend appropriate multiple media formats (e.g. print, digital/social media, TV/Radio, Web, community networks, etc.). Oversee the production and implementation of multi-media initiatives for compliance with targets and plans that integrate the latest evidence.
- Carry out C4D advocacy activities with/for a wide range of constituents, stakeholders, partners, communities, such as religious groups, traditional leaders, teachers, artists and other organised groups at national, state, zonal, Local Government Areas (LGA) and community levels, as well as civil society organizations etc. to orient them on behavior and social mobilization models, strategies, approaches, Polio eradication and routine immunization as well as general health programme goals; and solicit their involvement in the implementation of the overall country program; also to encourage/promote engagement and dialogue, inclusion, self-determination and participation in mobilizing social, political, behavioral and cultural change to achieve sustainable program results for polio eradication, improved routine immunization, and children and women’s rights, equity and well-being. Develop/select materials and other communication tools for C4D events.
- Identify, establish and maintain active interaction/relations with media, academia and other strategic partners to communicate/advocate UNICEF’s competencies and achievements to ensure their engagement, interests and support in promoting social/political engagement for political action on polio eradication, and measurable changes in social and behavioral outcomes.
- Conduct and/or participate in M & E (Monitoring and Evaluation) and Evaluation exercises, including country program previews, meetings and mid-term/annual reviews to assess/report on efficacy/outcome of C4D on UNICEF and Nigeria Country Office (NCO) Strategic Plans/Goals. Recommend timely action to ensure the achievement of results as planned and allocated. Integrate/disseminate lessons learned in development planning and improvements.
- Monitor and evaluate programme activities on the basis of applied qualitative behavioral research and frequent visits to project sites.
- Analyse and evaluate data to ensure compliance and achievement of objectives and recommend corrective action, when necessary, to meet programme/project objectives. Prepare monitoring and evaluation reports in accordance with the established guidelines, methods and procedures. Provide technical advice to programme staff, government officials and other counterparts, and coordinate and manage the evaluative elements of country programme milestone meetings, such as mid-term reviews, strategy meetings, previews and reviews and annual reviews.
Technical And Operational Support:
- Strengthen and support Social Mobilization Working Groups, as platforms hosted by government for the coordination and harmonization of all activities aimed at improving the use of use of communication and social development, targeting both individual and collective behavior change; provide similar support to efforts at the State level, strengthening state capacity through provision of technical guidance to both UNICEF state-level staff as well as state-government social mobilization working groups.
- Collaborate with internal CO, Regional Office (RO) and/or RO colleagues to contribute to the development of strategies, approaches, policies and the planning of C4D social and resource mobilization initiatives in support of programs/projects implementation and delivery of results, including humanitarian response.
- Participate in CO strategic discussions to collaborate on policy and agenda setting for C4D advocacy and investments and related external relations and resource mobilization initiatives.
- Participate in budget planning and management of program funds and prepare financial plan for C4D initiatives. Monitor/track the use of resources as planned and verify compliance with organizational guidelines, rules and regulations and standards of ethics and transparency.
- Undertake missions nationally, including to high risk States and LGAs in Nigeria and select behavioral challenging areas to assess knowledge gaps, attitudes and practices; identify barriers and/or facilitating factors on the basis of applied communication research; communicate findings to local government and partner authorities and communities regarding feasibility and effectiveness of both planning and implementation.
Advocacy, Networking And Partnership Building:
- Ensure high polio visibility through strategic media engagement and advocacy. With technical inputs from the Chief of C4D/Polio and Chief of External Communication, provide overall guidance in the development and implementation of the media and advocacy component of the national polio communication strategy.
- Identify, build and maintain partnerships through networking and proactive collaboration with strategic partners, e.g. academia; social networks; celebrities, journalist, media, all sectors/levels of (socially aware) society and critical audience to reinforce cooperation and/or pursue opportunities for C4D advocacy to promote UNICEF mission and goals for child rights, social equity and inclusiveness.
- Collaborate with internal global/regional communication partners to harmonize, link and/or coordinate messaging and use of multiple media and communication platforms to enhance C4D outreach including in humanitarian contexts.
- Participate in organizational and/or inter-agency (United Nations Country Team – UNCT; National UN Communication for Development Round-table) discussions and planning to collaborate with inter-agency partners/colleagues in the UNDAF planning and preparation of C4D advocacy and resource mobilization initiatives including emergencies.
Innovation, Knowledge Management And Capacity Building:
- Implement innovative practices, approaches and latest technology on multiple media and social/digital platforms and networks for C4D that are appropriate/available for the CO context and audience.
- In consultation with Polio Field Coordinator and state colleagues, develop training modules and other materials; act as lead facilitator for capacity building activities on participatory behavior and social change communication at various levels of government, for partners and civil society organizations; and engage as Trainer of Trainers in support of the vast Volunteer Community Mobilizer network that benefits from the efforts of over 15,000 individuals; all in support of programme sustainability. Institutionalize/share best practices and knowledge learned/products with global/local partners and stakeholders to build capacity of practitioners, and disseminate these products to key audiences including donors and partners.
- Organize/implement capacity building initiatives to enhance the competencies of clients/stakeholders/partners (government and non-government) in C4D planning, implementation and evaluation in support of programs/projects including in humanitarian settings.
Budget and Funds Allocations:
- Participate in and actively contribute to the budget and programme review & planning. Establish programme work plans, allocation of resources, and monitor progress and compliance.
- Monitor the allocation and disbursement of relevant programme funds, making sure that they are properly coordinated, monitored and liquidated.
- Take appropriate actions to optimize use of programme funds. Improve programme efficiency, quality and delivery through a rigorous and transparent approach to programme planning, monitoring and evaluation.
Qualifications of Successful Candidate
- An Advanced University Degree in social and Behavioral Science, (Social Sciences, Development Studies, Anthropology, Psychology, Public Health and Health Education) with emphasis on strategic communication planning for behavior development, social mobilization, participatory communication, and research. Sociology Is required. Successful completion of C4D course will be considered as an added advantage.
- A first-level university degree with additional two years of experience may be accepted in lieu of advanced degree.
- A minimum of 5 years of progressively responsible professional work experience in the development planning, research and management of social development programmes, including several years in developing countries, with practical experience in the adaptation and application of communication planning processes to specific programmes.
- Working experience in polio endemic country will be an added advantage.
- Fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another official UN language or a local language is an asset.
For Every Child, You Demonstrate:
- Our core values of Commitment, Diversity and Integrity and core competencies in Communication, Working with People and Drive for Results.
- Leading and supervising (I), Formulating strategies/concepts (II), Relating and networking (II), Persuading and influencing (II), Applying technical expertise (II), Entrepreneurial thinking (II)
Specific Technical Knowledge:
- Knowledge of current developments in the fields of: communication theory, motivational psychology, adult learning theory, indigenous media, community organization and participation, strategic communication planning, behavior analysis, formative research and evaluation of communication interventions and experience in putting them to action.
- Knowledge and experience of inter-disciplinary approach in programme development and implementation in programme communication, social mobilization and behavioral change.
- Demonstrated knowledge of and experience in emergency operations and management.
- Demonstrated knowledge of and skills in programme communication networking, advocacy and negotiation.
- Demonstrated experience of training/facilitation and impact evaluation of communication intervention.
- Experience in organizing and implementing training, including the development of curricula and methodologies.
- Experience in community capacity building.
- Computer knowledge, skills and practical experience, including internet navigation, network, telecommunications and various office applications.
Common Technical Knowledge:
- UN/UNICEF policy papers, relating to polio programme communication and programmes
- Executive Directives
- UNICEF programme manuals
- Communication for Development Guidelines
- UNICEF country programme plans
- Government development plans and policies
- The successful candidate for this emergency recruitment MUST be available to commence work within 31 days of receiving an offer.
- Employment is conditional upon receipt of medical clearance, any clearance required, the grant of a visa, and completion of any other pre-employment criteria that UNICEF may establish. Candidates may not be further considered or offers of employment may be withdrawn if these conditions are unlikely to be met before the date for commencement of service.
Interested and qualified candidates should APPLY HERE
Deadline: 5th September, 2017