The United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF) – For 70 years, UNICEF has been working on the ground in 190 countries and territories to promote children’s survival, protection and development. The world’s largest provider of vaccines for developing countries, UNICEF supports child health and nutrition, good water and sanitation, quality basic education for all boys and girls, and the protection of children from violence, exploitation, and AIDS. UNICEF is funded entirely by the voluntary contributions of individuals, businesses, foundations and governments.
Job Title: Chief Field Officer, P-4
Job Type: Full Time
Experience: 8 years
Job Number: 504553
Work Type: Fixed Term Staff
Purpose of the Position
- Under the supervision of the Chief ,Field Services and overall guidance of the Deputy Representative, in support to and in close cooperation with the UNICEF Country Office in Abuja, the incumbent is responsible for the coordination, development, planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of a broad range of programmes/projects in the Field Office, Kaduna, focussed on achievement of UNICEF’s Organizational priorities.
Key Expected Results
- The development, management and review of program annual work plans, mid-term reviews and any other programming process are effectively coordinated in the field office, in close cooperation with the respective UNICEF sections; All financial inputs are in line with UNICEF’s policies and procedures as well as agreed programme strategies; Programme implementation is regularly monitored and progress, where applicable, evaluated to ensure achievement of results.
- Technical decisions on program and/or project administration and implementation coordinated and facilitated with other UNICEF Nigeria sections with the aim to promote convergence and integration of the UNICEF supported programs (Health, Nutrition, Water, Sanitation & Hygiene, Education, HIV/AIDS, Child Protection and Communication for Development).
- Leadership provided to the UNICEF technical officers/specialists and other programme staff based in the field office to guide, inform, support and/or undertake on-going assessments of local conditions affecting children and mothers, including the development of strong situation analysis capacity; In close coordination with the UNICEF staff including the respective UNICEF sections and partners, priority interventions are identified and determined based on Work plans and the Country Program Action Plan; Reports and recommendations related to UNICEF’s assistance prepared whenever required; Use of UNICEF’s resources optimized through cross-sector planning, implementation and monitoring.
- Capacity development of partners effectively coordinated and facilitated in accordance with the Human Right Based Approach to Development Programming principles, focusing on increased access to and improved quality of basic social services for children and their caregivers.
- Internal coordination mechanisms between the UNICEF technical staff in place and operational support to technical field staff in the region provided; All operations related duties (e.g. Human Resource, Admin, Supply, ICT and Supply and Logistics, Security and Staff Welfare, travel plans, use of vehicles, communication systems) efficiently coordinated within the field office and with the Abuja Office.
- Vulnerability analysis, assessments, disaster preparedness and response strategies in the non-food sectors are well integrated within programs, and coherent/adapted to the particular nature of the region’s risks and vulnerabilities; Emergency assessments undertaken and emergency response action plans developed when required; Emergency response/Humanitarian actions implemented in accordance with the Core Commitments for Children.
- Timely ordering and delivery of materials and supplies as well as disbursement of cash assistance and provision of other services for program / project implementation ensured effectively.
- In consultation with the supervisor and Country Representative, represents UNICEF in the meetings relating the work of the field office with UN, donor agencies, NGOs/CSOs and community based organizations to support inter-agency efforts, promote joint assessments and initiatives.
- Responsible for the safety, security and well-being of all UNICEF field based staff.
Qualifications of Successful Candidate
- Advanced University Degree in Social Sciences, International Relations, Government, Public Administration, Public Policy, Social Policy, Social Development, Community Development, or other relevant disciplines, with specialized training in conflict resolution
- Eight years of relevant professional work experience at the national and international levels in programme planning, management, monitoring and evaluation.
- Developing country work experience
- Background/familiarity coordinating Emergency response.
- Experience in heading a field/zonal office, an advantage
- Experience in remote / isolated conditions, an asset.
- Fluency in English is required and another UN language is desirable. Knowledge of local working language of the duty station, an asset.
- Competencies of Successful Candidate
- Diversity and Inclusion
- Communication [ II ]
- Working with People [ II ]
- Drive for Result [ II ]
- Leading and Supervising [ II ]
- Formulating Strategies and Concepts [ II ]
- Analyzing [ II ]
- Relating and Networking[ II ]
- Persuading and Influencing [ II ]
- Creating and Innovating [ II ]
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should APPLY HERE
Deadline: 29th May, 2017
- The successful candidate for this emergency recruitment MUST be available to commence work within 31 days of receiving an offer.
- Kaduna is a non-family duty station.
- Employment is conditional upon receipt of medical clearance, any clearance required, the grant of a visa, and completion of any other pre-employment criteria that UNICEF may establish.
- Candidates may not be further considered or offers of employment may be withdrawn if these conditions are unlikely to be met before the date for commencement of service.